Friday, May 21, 2004

The Last Day of School

Yesterday marked the end of school. The last hour of the day was crazy: a water fight ensued and my door knobs were smothered in marshmallow cream, but those are the moments to live for! I was actually quite surprised because the last day of school was actually anti-climatic. Nothing hugely memorable (besides the water and Fluff) happened. I guess I always thought that when BIG days happen they'd be marked by moments of greatness. But, the last day of ninth grade, well, it was pretty ordinary. I went to school today to sort out grades and other sorts of housekeeping things and the bells continued ringing like normal. But, of course the familiar faces didn't come in and out of my classroom. I will really miss some of those familiar faces [and you know who you are, especially if you have this website and are reading! I hope you can look back on our year together with as much fondness as I can!].

Now what?! Monday begins preplanning for Summer School [which technically begins on Wednesday]. That will last until the end of June and I'm fairly certain time will pass quickly! I'll have the month of July to do whatever I please, which will probably include sleeping late (at least until 7 am!!), watching some television [but not massive amounts...summer is my time to cut back on my TV addiction because my shows are in hiatus], and eating a fair amount of ice cream and watermelon [there are just some foods so closely associated with certain times of the year, for instance, what do you think of when you eat pumpkin pie or green bean casserole? Of course, Thanksgiving. How about those Bisquick biscuit balls? That's right, Christmas! Well, ice cream and watermelon SCREAM summer!].

If I could wave a magic wand and do anything this summer, I just might choose to go to the Grand Canyon. Have you ever fallen in love with something from a song? That's what happened with me and the Grand Canyon. Summer of 2000 is when I got the Andrew Peterson CD Carried Along and that's when the Grand Canyon become imprinted upon my heart, because of "Nothing to Say." So, 4 years have passed and I'm still always thinking of the Grand Canyon and it's ok if I don't make it there this summer because I know one day I'll be there and am confident that I will feel just like Andy: "And I don't believe that I believed in You as deeply as today, I reckon what I'm saying is there's nothing more, nothing more to say. And the mountains sing Your glory hallelujah. The canyons echo sweet amazing grace. My spirit sails, the mighty gales are bellowing Your name. And I've got nothing to say."

Maybe I'll go to Nashville for a visit! I said this last year, too, and it never happened! But, for those of you who don't know, I am seriously hoping that THE great move to Music City will happen next fall. My intentions now are to go to graduate school at Belmont while wearing red boots, most likely for a master's in Education. I'd love your prayers; open doors are always welcome! I don't know how my cats will feel about taking up residence elsewhere, but I'm fairly certain all three gnomes won't mind :).

Here's my list of recommendations (because I think is a fun thing to do):

CD: Switchfoot's -- The Beautiful Letdown (truly, an amazing album!)

Book: Prayer and the Art of Volkswagon maintenance (I recently reread this, and I love it all over again!)

Movie: Rent Peter Pan, and if you've recently done that, then go and see New York Minute with the Olsen twins (I'm just kidding here!)

Thing to avoid: squirrels!

Color: anything yellow, it's the happiest color

Snack: Peach Jello :)

TV Show: ALIAS! The season finale is on THIS Sunday night!!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home