Monday, November 01, 2004

Tales from 5th Period Planning...

I was absent from school on Friday and today I have had lots of students welcome me back with open arms. Apparently, they weren't too fond of the sub: Miss Mix, he actually tried to TEACH us something! Nice complaint, huh? He also asked random questions and rewarded the students who answered correctly with cough drops. Crazy. It's good to go missing for a day or two because now I feel appreciated!

One of my students is going to try to get me the sweet hook-ups with the post office. If you've known me for an extended period of time, you probably are somewhat aware of my unique fascination with the postal service. I absolutely love and adore the post office. My adoration for getting and sending mail certainly has something to do with my love for the post office. I'm not quite sure when it all started, but it's been a huge fascination for as long as I can remember. Well, I have a former student whose mother is a mail carrier! WHOA! I'm super thrilled. He's going to try to get the inside scoop on some postal things and I can't wait for his future visits.

Back when I taught the first grade, I had the greatest field trip ever lined up: an inside tour of the post office (the grandest post office in Brevard County). However, the field trip was right in the midst of when we went to war with Iraq and security snapped down tightly, thus thrwarting my plans for a tour. I was very, very sad. The last time I went to Paris, my MAIN GOAL was to get to the Postal Museum. I had the greatest time. I took great care not to miss anything and my mom ended up going through the exhibits and then waiting for me at the end in the gift shop. And what do you think would be the coolest thing EVER to discover in the gift shop? A PACKAGE OF DIFFERENT CAMEL STAMPS (I'm not even kidding).

I know the postal employees at the 32905 branch very well. They know me by name. I once saw one of my favorite attendants in Walgreen's buying a galloon of milk and I just kind of stood back and stared in awe. I really used to love the movie with Christian Slater called Bed of Roses. He inherited his grandfather's florist shop and he was the one who delivered the arrangements because he liked to see the people's faces when they opened the door to beautiful flowers. I remember thinking, "Yeah, being a flower delivery person has got to rank up there with the best jobs in the world." However, being a mail carrier/postal employee totally beats delivering sweet smelling flowers! I would not mind AT ALL being employed in a post office. I would really LOVE to have a walking mail route. I would like to deliver the mail in a smallish town where the leaves change and the snow falls and the hottest days are about 80 degrees.

In other news:

This weekend was crazy good. On Friday, Sharon, my roommate from UM, came up for the day and we celebrated her birthday over lunch at a cute cafe in downtown Melbourne. We saw Ray, which I had no original interest in seeing, but it really was quite good. Jamie Foxx really plays the piano in the film, and as a pianist, I can totally appreciate his talent. On Saturday, my aunt and uncle, Alison and Lonnie, popped over for a visit. Sadly they didn't come bearing autographed pictures of President Palmer or Amy Grant...but I did happen to score from them a pretty tight Hello Kitty stationary set. We dined at Friday's and enjoyed a very crazy, but fun, movie called I heart Huckabees. On Sunday, I met back up with my aunt Alison at another aunt's house, Anne. Aside from seeing more family, I really enjoyed going to Anne's house because it afforded the opportunity to play the piano!! Can you guess what I played? I played my great-grandfather's song, "My Pleading Heart." (which I actually discovered was his marriage proposal to my great-grandmother...nice, huh?)

I'm very happy that the time change kicked in. It's so much easier getting up at 6:15 when it's light outside. I actually felt well rested and kind of like I had the chance to sleep in because it was light when my alarm went off. Yay for the new time change.

Happy November, everyone. I can't believe it's freaking 85 degrees down in this stupid state and it's supposed to be chilly fall. 15 minutes before 6th period starts and my planning period ends...peace out.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

gotta love that post office.


Hannah-hannaH

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having a sub was always kind of odd because they would come in and have no real clue as to where we were within the book, or they kind of faked their way through it. I remember one time in like 3rd grade we had a HUGE spit wad fight the day we had a sub, and I don't think the teacher missed another day for a long time. :-)

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to add, if you want snow and high of 80's, then I suggest checking into Canada. :-) Northern US does come close though.

Matt

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home