Saturday, June 05, 2004

Beautiful Things

Harry Potter, Silly 8 Year Olds, Sleeping Babies, and Other Beautiful Things

Have you ever had one of those days that was extraordinary because of ordinary things? Today was one of those days.

I met Emily Sue & her funny family at Cinema World at 9 AM to see the 10 AM Harry Potter movie. Her dad was very intent upon getting good seats and tickets (before they sold out). Surprise! The box office didn't even open until 9:30, so we were the only ones in line (although, can we call it a line since no one was behind us in a line?). I think it's safe to say that Ross was way more excited to see the Harry Potter movie than Emily was (although, she was pretty excited!). I didn't know what to expect since I haven't read any of the H.P books nor have I seen the movies (although, I tried to watch H.P., but I fell asleep because that's what I tend to do when I watch rented movies...even though it wasn't rented, but at a friend's place, I still fell asleep). However, the movie was thrilling. Pure magic! I was overwhelmed. And not by the wizards and witches kind of magic, but by the magic of sheer imagination (much like that of Peter Pan that I'm so fond of). Perhaps more thrilling than the movie and the magic was my own personal commentary wrapped up in the curly haired 8 year old who sat next to me and CLUNG to my arm during the scary bits. Emily was hilarious! [On a side note, my brother and father used to ALWAYS get annoyed with me because they said I always talked during movie, but I loved all of her excited chatter.] Being around such enthusiasm was GREAT FUN! And, Miss Emily Sue has a mad crush on Harry, so that was fun too :-).

After the movie, I headed over to visit Karen Jane and Marnie Jane (The Janes!). For those of you who may not know who The Janes are, Karen is one of my best friends who made my Cinderella dress (all of you should know about THE DRESS!) and Marnie is her and Philip's 2 month old daughter. They live in Scotland, which is so far away. Anyway, my patience finally paid off because all their visitors left and I got to hold Marnie. Now, I wouldn't consider myself much of a baby person (although, don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to death for all my friends who have, or are about to have, babies...and they're actually great as long as no poop or screaming is involved!), but as I held Marnie, I really couldn't imagine anything sweeter! So, she slept on my shoulder and I was happy.

Driving home from visiting The Janes, it was raining. "I'm only happy when it rains..." and I began thinking about how I thought that rain is beautiful. Well, that led me to my next Mixmaster's Dozen list...

Things That I Consider Beautiful (in no particular order)

1. Rain (I love everything: the sound, the smell, the feeling before and after it comes, the grayness of everything, the thunder and lightening, the puddles, the sound of tires on wet streets)
2. Imagination (the magic that's so beautifully expressed in silly 8 year olds)
3. Sleeping Babies (now, I had Marnie in mind, but must also broaden the category to include cats...namely my Saffie who so faithfully sleeps and cuddles with me every night)
4. Grace (the gift, the name, and the word in general)
5. When your heart skips a beat because you're so happy or excited that you just want to jump up and down or smile really, really big (I hope everyone knows what I mean)
6. Laughter (I love to hear people laugh, I love to make people laugh, and I love to laugh)
7. The key of E (especially B sus and C # m)...and music in general (I know, too broad)
8. Yellow (there is no happier color)
9. Fall (pumpkin everything, oranges and yellows everywhere, Thanksgiving, the weather changing, the leaves, apple cider)
10. A Really Great Episode of Felicity (come on, Sharon, don't you agree...especially one with really great songs?)
11. Absolutely Amazing Friendships (especially when a new one begins)
12. Flying (I love everything about flying! I think it's beautiful.)

Now, there are so many more beautiful things and as soon as I publish this list, I'll probably kick myself for not including something else, but these are the first 12 things that popped into my mind. That does it for another blog. Bye.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Eric W:

You write well as always.

Just have to throw my $0.02 down on the Alias season finale.

I found that it was very rushed and anti-climatic. Certainly nowhere near the grade of the season finales that came before it.

When it was done, I really felt like it was the episode you would have before the typical (and for this show, needed) two hour season finale.

I love this show, but I feel like some of my worries are starting to be realized.

I had my concerns when the SD-6 double agent thing was put to rest. I thought was what the whole show's trick was supposed to be about: Syd juggling this double agency and not being caught.

They handled that transistion well enough, and blew me away with the two year jump/memory loss.

I am usually not a big fan of that plot device, and I was really hoping it was a mind trick or something. But no, they really did jump her ahead two years and kept it there.

And now, I just have to wonder: What's the nexus of this show? Where is it headed? They had a really nice, tight vehicle with SD-6 and that cadre of world leaders that Sloan was a part of.
He's an amazing character and he might be my favorite outright.

The show continues to be my favorite. It's one of the few TV shows I even bother with at all these days. I know I've had concerns in the past and the show has not failed me yet. But, looking out past this lackluster season finale, I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised yet again.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home