Tuesday, June 22, 2004

A Call for the Return of Simplicity

Gatorade and Skittles

Remember when there used to be only three Gatorade choices? We had the traditional, original yellow-green, orange, and red to choose from. That was it. And even with only three colors/flavors, I remember having a hard time deciding whether or not to go with the good old fashioned yellow-green or to go out on a limb and pick red or orange. But now, selecting the Gatorade jug in the grocery store has become way too difficult. There are just too many colors/flavors to choose from. It's absurd.

Fierce Grape, Frost High Tide, Frost Glacier Freeze, Ice Lime, Strawberry Ice, Lemon Ice, Fierce Melon, Cool Blue, Ice Orange, Citrus Cooler, Frost Cascade Crash, Passionfruit, Mandarine, Fierce Berry, Alpine Snow, Frost Riptide Rush, Xtremo Mango, Xtremo Tropico, Xtremo Citrico (and, I'm sure there are more flavors out there that I am not aware of)

Isn't it insane? You can't just tell someone to bring you back a green Gatorade. There are multiple shades of green! There's even PINK Gatorade. There's dark purple and see throughish purple. There's even clear Gatorade, which is kind of fun to drink because when I pour it into a glass, it looks like water, so each time I take a sip, I'm surprised!

And what about Skittles? I used to love those "Taste the rainbow..." commercials. In fact, I'm reminded of Skittles (and especially the Skittles commercials) each time I hear Dylan's song "A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall" because of the line, "I met a young girl and she gave me a rainbow..." Anyway, now there's more choices when it comes to Skittles, too. You've got the original, the tropical flavors, and sour Skittles. You know what I'd like to see? Bags of red Skittles.

I enjoy the fact that I have so many choices, however, it wouldn't be all bad to return to the simpler days of yellow-green Gatorade and normal Skittles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home