Sunday, August 22, 2004

dusting camels

While I was having a very mundane weekend, a few friends of mine had spectacular ones. Philip and Karen celebrated their 5th anniversary, Ryan went to see Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson, Jed saw Aretha Franlin in concert, Kelly went to see Napoleon Dynamite and had a nice long-haired visitor drive 30 minutes just to see her, Angel and her boyfriend, Steve, went to the Warped Tour (and, this is hilarious, were probably the oldest ones there!!)...and then there was me. My weekend left much to be desired. (Kristin's was bad too. She couldn't go see Napoleon Dynamite.)

Ok, I did see Garden State...but that's it. I tried to return my sunshine Converse, but my efforts were in vain. I needed either a size or a half size smaller, which they don't have. The sales lady tried to get me to exchange them for another color or even some yellow high-tops. She just didn't understand that the sunshine low-tops are the very shoes that I've been wanting for so long. So, I will have to wait a very long time: the order will be placed on Sept. 1, then when they receive the shoes, they'll notify me. Then, I have to mail my shoes back and wait for them to mail me the new ones. But...it'll be worth it when I finally can put them on and "walk on sunshine"! (Oh boy, I'm quite pleased with that allusion.)

How did I spend my Sunday afternoon?! I dusted my camel collection. (I wish I had a real camel in my collection like this one.)



When I was in England, I began to collect camels picking up:3 clay camels from Spain, a fun plastic camel in a big mall in Spain, a cork camel from Portugal (which is the cork capital of the world...seriously), another clay-ish big-eyed camel in Portugal, a fragile ceramic camel from France, and a ceramic one in a tiny "charity shoppe" (thrift store) in Rye, England (I was there to visit the home of Henry James). Over the last 4 years I have collected (mostly been given as gifts) -- 9 stuffed animal camels, 3 Christmas ornament camels, 29 figurines, and lots of post cards with camels. As you can well imagine, 40 camels on a shelf can collect a lot of dust. So, I dusted them today.

Here's a highlight of my camel collection (oh, I wish you all could see it for yourselves):
a big blue stuffed camel -- it's Raggedy Ann and Andy's camel with wrinkly knees (so cute!)
a purple 2 humped stuffed camel -- his name is Honk (he came with that name)
a big floppy soft stuffed camel -- one of my 9th graders last year just came to school with this most special gift for me!!
an olive wood camel from the Holy Land -- ok, I didn't get it in Israel...just the Holy Land Experience theme park in Orlando
a leather camel from Morocco -- a 21st birthday present...not from the country itself, just the Morocco site at EPCOT
a Precious Moments stuffed camel -- a sweet surprise from my friend, Jenny
a package of camel stamps -- quite a find in the postal museum in Paris (oh, how I love the post office!)
a Beanie Baby camel -- another 21st birthday present from 2 of my Greek flatmates in England

However, I dusted them using very handy Pledge Wipes. I love anything that comes in wipe form. I am addicted to Clorox Wipes!! They're so useful. Everyone should have them.
Posted by Hello

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lily61479: i aim to please
***and that you do.
Kelly

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Silly Girl!!! If I knew how much you liked camels, oh boy could I have added to your collection. After all, where are camels mostly located? The Middle East!!!!!! Never saw a live one (although people in my office did) but there were tons of them for souveniors.

Your world traveling sister-in-law

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home