Friday, July 16, 2004

Movies

I've been watching videos for the past two days and thought I'd comment on them here.

First, there's the 2003 hit DRUM LINE (I'm kidding; it wasn't a hit.) The movie was rather slow, but it's a movie where some smack talking bad boy gets his corn rows shaved off and he learns a lesson: to read music. The drum scenes were cool, all 15 minutes worth.

Moving along to a classic, Indiana Jones. Hmmm...I'm not quite sure why so many people thought there was something wrong with me since I hadn't ever seen an Indiana Jones movie. Truth be told, I wish I hadn't seen it. Sure, the theme song is way cool, and Harrison Ford uses a whip really, really well. Maybe I'm too easily bored, but the movie was no fast paced ALIAS episode. Also, I can't believe it was rated PG. My goodness, there were some scary parts! The spiders and snakes warrant a PG-13 rating (but I guess movies aren't rated according to the scary creatures that menace the main characters). I was all set to watch the other 2 Indiana Jones, but after the first one, I think I'll pass on the other two (at least for the time being).

I can finally say that I saw Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. 3 hours?! Is there really a need for such a long movie, well, besides The Sound of Music? I had to pause it twice in order to take some naps :-). I've got some complaints about this movie. First of all, the black horses and those ugly and quite unrealistic looking creatures who ride the horses made such ridiculous sounds that they could have ridden straight off of a Scooby Doo cartoon. Their noise was SO distracting. I couldn't take it seriously...AT ALL! I liked Frodo and Sam very much (Here's an interesting fact about Sam. The actor who plays him, his name escapes me at the moment, is Patty Duke's son. Patty Duke's sister is named Carol Kennedy. Carol was my boss when I worked in financial aid at UM. I saw Sam on some talk show and he mentioned his cousin: Mike Kennedy! I just thought that was neat.). So they advertise how Liv and Cate are main characters?! They were on screen, what, all of 5 minutes a piece? I was quite disappointed. It also kind of bothered me that the hobbits went around without shoes. How could they stand it?! I don't like walking in grass without shoes on. I will say that when the movie ended, I was left hanging. Furthermore, I searched and searched for The Two Towers movie...but in vain (I am staying at my aunt's right now and she could open up her own Blockbuster if she wanted to. She had the case for The Two Towers, but the movie was missing!) On a side note, a phone call from my cousin later on this evening found the tape for me, but I'm in no mood for another 3 hour movie.

I love a movie about a teacher (go figure!). So, I watched The Emperor's Club (I think that was the title). Kevin Kline is a history teacher at a very top notch boys school. Of course, he is very influential in his students' lives. Any movie about a teacher makes me shed a tear or two. Actually, the ending made me cry quite a bit. It was VERY good. (Other teacher movies I have enjoyed include: Mona Lisa Smile, Stand and Deliver, Lean on Me, Mr. Holland's Opus, and even the classic, Dangerous Minds--which brought us the wonderful song "Gangsta's Paradise". Summer School was actually a pretty good teacher movie too!)

The last movie I watched tonight, and in fact it just ended maybe 15 minutes ago, was We Were Soldiers. This movie was phenomenal. I really loved it and not just because Keri Russell (Felicity) was in it (although, that is the only reason I decided to watch it tonight). This movie was absolutely brilliant, my favorite war movie...EVER. The ending, again, made me cry a lot! But, I also laughed :-). I don't know what else to say about this movie other than it was really really great. I highly recommend it, but not for those who are easily grossed out (it is a pretty graphic and violent movie).

It being 10, I still have time to squeeze in one more movie and perhaps a bowl of ice cream before bed. I did see that my aunt has the new Peter Pan :-). I can never tire of watching that! Actually, I'm really in the mood to see the Disney version and I think it's the only Disney movie she doesn't have. Maybe I'll have to settle for watching Cinderella.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! You didn't like Raiders of the Lost Ark? That's pretty much a perfect movie. It has action, adventure, humor, romance, supernatural occurances, character development, a good script.... Phil, help me out here.
Peach

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home