Sunday, August 08, 2004

Philip's Best Birthday...EVER!


Happy 27th, Philip! Posted by Hello

Today is Philip's 27th birthday and what a fun day it was (hopefully as much fun for him as it was for me!). Here's the recap of my day:

I went to church and began to make fun of someone (I know, it doesn't really fit to make fun of someone in church, does it? Trust me though, it's all in good fun) to which my mom responded, "Here's the new rule: If you're going to make fun of someone, you're going ot have to pray for them." Fair enough.

After church, I went to Ballard Park, which marked my third time at this water front park. The first time I ever went to Ballard Park was 5 years ago, right before Karen and Philip got married. They had a cookout the night before the rehearsal and I came to it right after getting my eyes dilated. I remember Philip making a comment about how they looked like cat eyes. The second time, and last time, I was at Ballard Park was when I taught the first grade. Our first field trip was to the fire station and then we had a picnic at Ballard Park. First grade field trips RULE!

Well, while we waited for everyone else to get there, Marnie (Karen and Philip's cute 4 month old) sat contently in her carrier and looked cute while Philip cooked hot dog like things on the grill. It was the best hot dog...EVER! Turns out that they weren't really hot dogs. Brautwurst? (I don't know how to spell that.) Soon, the crowd began rolling in...just as the clouds were too. The sky actually grew pretty dark and I think Mr. Decker (Karen's dad) was getting excited (he's a meteorologist). Oh yes, the rain came!

Philip and the boys tried playing frisbe (each taking shelter in a different pavillion). However, it didn't work out too well and the frisbe landed on the roof of one pavillion. It didn't take long for the rain to turn into a torrential downpour. Whew! We sang Happy Birthday, had pineapple upside down cake, and then ran everything to the cars (lucky for most that we were wearing bathing suits...we were supposed to go jet skiing).

Back at the Deckers', we settled down for a nice afternoon of cards...after eating some tasteless watermelon (such a disappointment since it's pretty much one of my top three favorite foods). The boys played poker while the girls played only the best card game...EVER! I was new to the game myself and was thankful to learn it's to be played in partners. So, my partner for NERT (I can't even remember if that's the right name for the game, but I think it is) was Myrtle (Karen's mom). Ok, so the best card game EVER turned out to be the worst card game EVER because Myrtle and I were on one phat losing streak. Karen joined in our game and kicked our butts (and she was flying solo...she's just that good).

I was getting pretty irritated mainly due to Amy spitting cherry pits at me (I am not kidding! You wouldn't believe the welts the pits left on my chest! It was only the grossest thing...EVER, but everyone seemed to think it was only the funniest thing...EVER! I got no symapthy.), but also due to the fact that Myrtle and I couldn't catch a break. However, victory tasted so sweet when we yelled NERT 3 times in a row! Oh yes, we were in a groove!

Soon, the rain had passed and it was time for a go on the jet ski. Ok, I wasn't really looking forward to the whole jet skiing adventure because: 1. I don't like to wear a bathing suit, 2. I don't like to be in water that I can't see in, and 3. Things with motors frighten me. However, there's just something about Karen that makes me try things. I have experienced a lot of firsts with her: 1. my first alcoholic beverage (I was 21, don't worry), 2. the lighting of my first match (and I've never lit anything since), 3. my first taste of sushi (and I try to eat it now any chance I get!), 4. my first fishing trip (and my last one...it was cold and my camera fell in the lake), 5. my first taste of Thai food, 6. the first time I ever played the guitar (Karen actually taught me), and 7. my first jet ski ride. There might very well be other firsts, but those are the only ones that immediately pop into my mind.

So, Philip, Karen, and I went out on the jet ski in the Indian River Lagoon (but, this lagoon isn't as magical as the one in The Neverland...no mermaids or Never Birds or pirate ships nearby). I was sandwiched between the K&P, so I was feeling pretty safe! And then it happened. Philip was making a sharp turn and off went Karen, who was soon followed by me and Philip! (I guess his reassuring comment before we embarked upon our jet ski adventure of, "Don't worry, I haven't fallen off today and I've done some crazy stuff," didn't really matter.) While it was a little creepy to be out in the middle of the Indian River Lagoon, it was kind of fun too. It certainly makes for a memorable jet ski experience. And, Philip didn't lose his flip flops, so all was well.

Back at the Decker's, we hung out in the hot tub...which was nice until Amy had to spit cherry pits at me AGAIN, and this time they pelted me right on my cheek! Gross. We went to Frankies Wings & Things for dinner (where I was laughed at for requesting number 1 wings...I have a very low threshold for spice). Philip & others insisted that I was wrong in claiming that Alisa and pizza rhyme. (Strangely, my only ally was Amy...and thankfully, she didn't spit chicken bones at me.) He also insisted that spoil is a one syllable word; I think it is a two syllable word. But, whatever.

That was my day. Again, happy birthday, Philip...one of the funniest guys in all the world (and he's like that all the time). I hope your 27th year is the best...EVER!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's right. It's only one syllable. Look it up. ;) rp

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MAN PHILLIP IS SUCH A HOTTIE! I LOVE HIM ALREADY AND CAN'T WAIT TO MEET HIM! WOOOO HOOO! PHILLIP IS TOTALLY HOT! I LOVE PHILLIP!

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home