Saturday, October 02, 2004

Fiction Every Christian Should Read

According to Christianity Today, the following list consists of 10 works of fiction that every Christian should read.

  1. The Pilgrim's Progress - John Bunyan (read excerpts of it in history classes, own it, but have no read it in its entirety)
  2. Paradise Lost - John Milton (read it twice, the last thing that I ever read in college for a class)
  3. The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoevsky (probably the longest book I've ever read...before stupid Oprah picked it for her book club)
  4. Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky (haven't read it and don't really have plans to)
  5. The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis (Can you believe that I have not read this series? I've read The Great Divorce, Till We Have Faces, Mere Christianity, A Grief Observed, Surprised by Joy (the first Lewis book that I read), Letters to Malcolm (the last Lewis book that I've read)...but I haven't read the Chronicles)
  6. Les Miserables - Victor Hugo (I saw the movie and liked it. I know that 2 friends, Karen, and someone I knew in high school, read this very long book.)
  7. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy (haven't read it)
  8. The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne (read it in 11th grade, the same year the movie version with Demi Moore hit the theaters)
  9. Uncle Tom's Cabin (read it in AP History...can't remember it at all)
  10. The Princess and the Goblin - George MacDonald (secured a copy of this treasure at Greyfriar's Book Shoppe, a wonderful used book store in Colchester, England. Read the book on the 5th floor of the library at the University of Essex. Good book.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did they say why those books where such must reads by Christians?

5:42 AM  
Blogger alisa beth said...

Not really. But, each selection had a little blurb written about it.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Colby said...

Crime and Punishment is what I like to call a CFI book: a good ole "Cure for Insomnia" read. It's an excellent novel, really; it just took me a month to read. Come to think of it, maybe it was those pills...

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home